Thursday, May 5, 2011

Eggplant Lasagna

We love Italian food.  Its hard to eat Italian without wheat or cheese!  I decided that part of what we loved so much was the way the food is cooked all together and the flavors meld and blend.  I needed to make an effort and see if I could satisfy that love.  This recipe was the result and my 7 year old said "blog it Mom!".  So here it is.

10 Servings

Eggplant Lasagna

5 lbs ground beef
3-4 large tomatoes
3-4 large eggplants
6 lbs beef marrow bones
1bg frozen carrots
1bg frozen fajita veggies
salt
oregano
marjoram
olive oil

The night before, I put the beef marrow bones in a large stock pot with water to cover and a couple of TBL of ACV. The day before, I sliced my eggplant and layered them in a bowl with salt sprinkled on top.  I then put a plate weighed down with a tea kettle on top to press out the bitter juices.  This is not necessary, but we like the flavor better.  After and hour, rinse the eggplant and set in the fridge to be used the next day.
In the morning:
  • dump the marrow from the bones and any that is loose in the broth into the blender.  
  • I then put the frozen veggies into the broth and boil until done.  Once done those go into the blender
Add:
  • 1 tsp salt
  • fresh or dried oregano and marjoram
  • black pepper to taste
 Blend until smooth.

Next:
  • Cook ground beef with with salt and if you want chopped onions and some more Italian herbs
  • slice tomatoes 
  • layer meat, eggplant (prepared the day before or sliced that morning), tomatoes and salt and pepper, repeat until you have two layers
  • cover with the sauce
  • bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until well browned
Enjoy!
Printable Grocery List

No comments:

Post a Comment