Saturday, February 26, 2011

Turkey Soup with Blue Kale and Butternut Squash

Ingredients:
  • 16 Turkey Necks (works well with a whole small turkey or other turkey parts)
  • 3 bags of frozen chopped onions or 4-5 small onions chopped
  • 2-4 lbs of butternut squash.  I use the kind from Costco that is already cubed and ready to dump in.
  • 2 bags of frozen greens (kale, collard, spinach, etc. )
  • 2-3 Tbls of dried Tarragon (rub between your fingers to powder it)
  • 1-3 tsp of salt (add one and taste to see if you need more)
Serves 18-20 or a family of 6 throughout the day

This is one of our favorite easy recipes.  Last night I put 16 turkey necks into my large stock pot and covered them with water.  I added 2 Tbls of A.C. Vinegar and brought it to a rolling boil.  I skimmed the scum from the top, reduced the heat so it was barely simmering, put the lid on and went to bed.  This morning I got up, took out all of the turkey necks and put them into a pan to be picked out.  I added the onions, kale, butternut squash and tarragon.  I brought everything to a boil and cooked the squash until they were fork-tender and then turned it on low.  While the veggies were cooking, I picked out the turkey necks.  It takes about 10 minutes and is a great job for little hands.  Just make sure most of the meat goes into a bowl and not their mouths!  Turkey neck meat is cheap, tender and fun to pick out and eat for kids.  I put the neck meat into the soup, stirred it in and dished it up.  I will leave the pot on low and we will eat this soup all day long until supper.  

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this sounds wonderful and I think I tried it once while there, but where do I find turkey necks, just in the meat cases?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey necks are in the meat case at HEB and Sprouts. They are with the other turkey parts.

    ReplyDelete